Language and literacy are of personal, social and economic importance. Students’ ability to use language is at the centre of the development and expression of their emotions, thinking, learning and their sense of personal identity.
Learning in this curricular area promotes the development of critical and creative thinking, personal, interpersonal and team-working skills as well as competence in listening and talking, reading and writing.
The literacy development of students is the responsibility of all staff and is fundamental to all areas of learning, as it unlocks all curricular areas.
The aim is to provide an environment of creativity and innovation, to:
- Provide relevant, real-life and enjoyable contexts which build upon students’ experiences
- Develop student literary skills and knowledge
- Give frequent opportunities to communicate in a wide range of contexts for relevant purposes and real audiences
- Provide opportunities to understand, analyse and evaluate
- Make appropriate use of technology
- Support the development of student decision making
- Provide opportunities for collaborative and individual learning
Principal Teachers: Miss Laura Mollon (Acting) and Ms Sarah Rudman (Acting)
Main Subjects in Broad General Education: English
Main Subjects in Senior Phase: English and Media