Mathematics and numeracy is important in our everyday lives. It allows students to make sense of the world around them and to manage their lives. Mathematics enables students to model real-life situations, make connections and informed decisions.
Learning in this curricular area equips students with the skills they need to interpret and analyse information, simplify and solve problems, assess risk and make informed decisions.
All staff have a responsibility to develop the numeracy skills of students. This allows students to establish firm foundations for further specialised learning in mathematics and to participate fully in society.
The aim is to provide an environment of creativity and innovation, to:
- Provide relevant, real-life and enjoyable contexts which build upon students’ experiences
- Develop student numeracy skills and knowledge
- Provide opportunities to understand, analyse and solve problems
- Make appropriate use of technology
- Allow the expression of opinion and decision making based upon sound understanding
- Provide opportunities for collaborative and individual learning
Principal Teachers: Miss Maria Edmond (PTC Mathematics and Numeracy) and Mr Fraser Sands (PT BGEd Mathematics)
Main Subjects in Broad General Education: Mathematics
Main Subjects in Senior Phase: Applications of Mathematics, Mathematics and Personal Finance