Language and literacy are of personal, social and economic importance. Students’ ability to use language is at the centre of the development and expression of their emotions, thinking, learning and their sense of personal identity.
Development of an additional language, or languages, enhances the above. Learning additional languages enables students to make connections with different people and their cultures and to play a fuller part as global citizens.
Learning in this curricular area promotes the development of critical and creative thinking, personal, interpersonal and team-working skills as well as competence in listening and talking, reading and writing.
The aim is to provide an environment of creativity and innovation, to:
- Provide relevant, real-life and enjoyable contexts which build upon students’ experiences
- Develop student literary skills and knowledge of an additional language
- Give frequent opportunities to communicate in a wide range of contexts for relevant purposes and real audiences
- Provide opportunities to understand, analyse and evaluate
- Broaden horizons through the exploration of a new language and culture
- Make appropriate use of technology
- Support the development of student decision making
- Provide opportunities for collaborative and individual learning
Principal Teacher: Mr James Poots
Main Subjects in Broad General Education: French, Mandarin and Spanish
Main Subjects in Senior Phase: French, German, Mandarin and Spanish