High quality teaching leads to high quality learning. Students learn best when they are taught by inspiring and passionate teachers who have high levels of professionalism and subject knowledge and can develop and foster positive relationships. We support our staff in continually improving their practice by ensuring access to high quality professional learning and through a focus on collaborative enquiry.
In Lasswade High School we aim to offer an inclusive learning environment which has a positive impact on our students. This is achieved by promoting inclusion, equality, equity and developing positive relationships. Teachers focus on and address the needs of all students and remove or reduce any barriers to learning across all curricular areas. We have high expectations for all students and a belief that all young people can be successful.
At Lasswade High School we aim to deliver the following aims through our learning, teaching and assessment practices:
- foster our DREAM values amongst all in our school community
- provide learning which is stimulating, active, inspirational and relevant
- develop assessment capable students who have an understanding of their strengths and areas for improvement
- provide opportunities for students to self and peer assess pieces of work
- ensure a wide range of effective learning and teaching approaches that are based on current research
- provide learning opportunities which are student centred and provide an element of personalisation and choice
- recognise progress, achievements and successes
- support the social, emotional and physical needs of the students
- develop independent students who are resilient and can use strategies to support their learning
- promote our 4 whole school skills of; collaboration, critical thinking, creativity and communication
We facilitate effective and consistent learning and teaching across the school through our ‘Learning at Lasswade’ framework and by employing a range of methods to encourage dialogue and collaboration amongst staff. We aim for students to be challenged and engaged in their learning. We aim to promote opportunities for learners to be autonomous and we believe that effective feedback is central to developing our students’ knowledge, attitudes, skills and habits.
Assessment is an integral part of learning and teaching. It helps to provide a picture of a student’s progress and achievements in order to identify next steps in learning.
At Lasswade High School we aim to create assessment capable students, where students are able to respond positively to assessment feedback in order to progress and improve. Our assessment is based primarily on formative feedback which will give the opportunity for all students to succeed – and so develops a growth mindset. Through this all students can achieve their goals and maximise their progress.
In the Broad General Education, staff judgements will focus on assessing skills, attributes and capabilities against the National Benchmarks, leading to achievement of a level. In the Senior Phase students will experience assessment practices which lead to National Qualifications.
Assessment is used to track and monitor progress, which is reported to both students and parents at regular intervals. As part of the reporting process, students engage in self-reflection, supported by learner conversations, to identify their strengths and areas for improvement.