Our Curriculum is the totality of all the learning and teaching experiences that are planned for our students across their time at Lasswade High School.
Our Vision Statement ‘Dream, Believe and Achieve @ Lasswade’ highlights the way we live and work within and beyond the school day. Our curriculum is underpinned by our set of ‘DREAM’ values to ensure a shared clarity of purpose:
Lasswade High is a unique school with world class facilities. We serve our local community and work closely to with partners to plan a set of learning experiences that meet the needs of our students. In addition, we use local, national and international labour market intelligence to plan courses to best prepare of young people for life beyond school. We have the highest standards and expectations for all students and we strive to provide a curriculum that respects the needs of all students as well as one that encourages young people to seek continuous development and improvement.
- offers opportunities for students to achieve success, including in SQA qualifications
- is coherent, progressive and follows national 3-18 curriculum area guidelines
- provides deep, sustained and valuable learning for all students
- provides opportunities to develop high levels of literacy and numeracy across all curricular areas
- promotes opportunities across the curriculum for the development of student health and well being
- recognises the importance of digital literacy and provides opportunities for the development of the skills students need to function in a technological world
- provides a range of courses which challenge, engage and motivate students
- promotes learning across a wide range of contexts and experiences
We recognise that to provide our young people with rich learning experiences in a range of contexts it is crucial to work in partnerships with others. Expertise often lies beyond the school and learning opportunities are regularly planned with partner organisations including; statutory and voluntary organisations as well as employers and the ‘third sector’.
Our aim, through our curriculum is to develop young people:
- who are confident, prepared to take calculated risks, can cope with change and view failure as part of the learning process
- who feel included in their community with an active desire to contribute politically, socially, culturally and economically
- who have high expectations of self and an ambitious vision for their future
- who have a ferocious work ethic that results in them achieving, and exceeding, their academic potential
- who are respectful, tolerant and empathetic towards the values and beliefs of others
- who are happy and have a desire to pursue a healthy, active lifestyle
- who are self-aware and know their own strengths through reviewing and evaluating their progress
- who have a range of transferrable skills for learning life and work including: communication; collaboration; critical thinking and willingness to challenged accepted norms and creativity skills
- who are capable of making informed decisions and are aware of their rights and responsibilities
Lasswade High School aims to ensure that all young people experience an inclusive learning environment that supports all our students towards a positive and sustained, post-school destination. This necessitates us collectively striving for excellent attainment for all, as well as ensuring equity issues are addressed, i.e., ‘closing the poverty related attainment gap’.
Please click on links on the side menu bar to access further information regarding subjects, courses and opportunities offered in each curricular area.
Senior Phase Course Choice 2020-21 Information Evening